6. Red Hills to Quamby Corner - 20.8km

 21 Jan 2025

 Back to clear skies and high 20s/low 30s today - some of the road walking was getting mighty hot. 

 It was a misty morning at red hills memorial hall today. I had a relatively good sleep despite the possum in the roofs best efforts. On th road again by 8:30 this morning, I had wanted to get away earlier but the hour of sleep in was very nice. 

 Sealed and then gravel road to axe camp where I had morning tea at 11. Lovely spot for a break (and a swim if one was so inclined), seems like a popular spot with the locals too. More gravel road and then across Meander River and back on to sealed roads.

 Highland lakes road is pretty busy but the track on the southwestern side runs for around 5.5km of the way. Lunch at 1:30 on said track. I'm spending the night at quamby corner, where I think laundry and a shower are in order. Quamby corner lists on their website that they have some basic provisions for sale, unfortunately it was much more basic than I expected and geared more towards campervanners - I had tossed around the idea of spend two nights here but after seeing the lack of available provisions I will keep on walking. I've got ~6 days of food which will hopefully get me to Miena where I can stockup again.

2 lifts offered. Many roadkill.

Red hills paddock.

Montana road.

Meander River as Axe Camp.

Track parallel to highland lakes road.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

1. Devonport to Latrobe - 10km

3. Railton to Sheffield - 12.2km