5. Mersey river to Red Hills - 12.6km

 20 Jan 2025

 Cloudy and cooler today with intermittent light showers and some humidity - high 10s low 20s. 

 Decided on a short 12km day today so that I could start late and enjoy the beautiful and peaceful mersey river campsite (well peaceful until the adjacent farmer let their cattle into the paddock bordering the campsite). I finally decided to get moving at 9, no issues with the river crossing (the exit trail is up stream from the entry not straight across), depth was up to my knees, rocks were a little slippery. The first section after the river crossing was through some lovely native bushland, and then it was into more forestry land. I was able to keep my shoes on for the next creek crossing, and there was also a potential camp spot on the west side of it. 

 After 6km I left the forestry roads behind and started down Coxs road, I slogged down gravel and sealed rds for the next 6km until I reached the red hills memorial hall. I had messaged last night enquiring about camping there thinking that I'd just be able to camp out on the grassy field but instead they allowed my access to the building so I don't even have to pitch my tent tonight. Shout out to the deloraine apex club and Leo, the president, for allowing trail users to use the hall.

 Dinner was macaroni cheese with dehydrated peas and mushroom - turned out better than expected as I didn't have milk or butter for the pasta and camp stoves aren't exactly known for their simmering ability.

 1 echidna.

The exit track across the Mersey river.


Nice bushland tracks.

Coxs road.

Inquisitive locals.

Camp for the night inside the red hills memorial hall.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

1. Devonport to Latrobe - 10km

3. Railton to Sheffield - 12.2km

6. Red Hills to Quamby Corner - 20.8km